Are Succulents Poisonous To Humans?

Are Succulents Poisonous to Humans
Succulents are beautiful plants growing in popularity, but did you know that some of them are considered poisonous?

Sharing is caring!

Are succulents poisonous? This is a question that arises when attempting to build your own succulent garden. You’ll find the answer right here.

Although succulents are regarded as good houseplants, you should know whether or not they are poisonous to humans and pets.

A few succulent species, however, can be hazardous to humans and pets. Beautiful Rosettes Succulents are generally non-toxic and pose no danger to humans or their pets.

As a result, it is critical to understand which succulents are hazardous.

Are Succulents Poisonous To Humans? 

Many succulent species are not hazardous to humans. In fact, they are usually used as medicine

Some succulents, however, can be poisonous to humans if handled or swallowed. As a result, you must exercise extreme caution when handling them.

When someone first begins cultivating succulents, they may be unaware that some of them can be dangerous.

Also, everyone is aware that cactus spines may be excruciatingly unpleasant. Aside from the cactus’ spines, there is less discussion concerning the dangers of succulent plants.

Related Post: What Succulents Grow Indoors?

Poisonous Succulents


With over 2000 species, the genus Euphorbia is the largest flowering plant genus.

The genus has a wide range of plants, including flowering trees, shrubs, and succulents.

The most well-known hazardous succulent to humans and pets is the Euphorbia family. These plants’ leaves produce a white sap that can irritate the skin.

The Euphorbia, on the other hand, causes rashes in individuals who come into touch with it.


If swallowed, the Kalanchoe is a poisonous succulent. Kalanchoe contains a naturally occurring toxin that is toxic to the heart.

This poisonous molecule is similar to digoxin, a common heart medication.

Are They Poisonous To Pets?

Even well-behaved dogs can normally chew on plants. So, you should now be aware of the home succulents that are poisonous to pets. I’ve included some poisonous succulents for your pets below.

Three potted succulents ranging from small mason jar to large stone pot, sit on a white table as decoration in front of a couch.

Ovata Crassula (Jade Plant)

Toxicity: dogs, cats, and horses

The plant is indigenous to Mozambique and South Africa.

It has, however, become a popular houseplant all around the world.

It resembles a tiny tree. The plant has tall branches with deep green jade leaves and produces small white or pink blossoms.

The plant is popular because it is easy to grow and maintain.

Pets can be poisoned by jade plants. Dog poisoning symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, loss of coordination, and a low heart rate.

Aloe Vera (Aloe)

Toxicity: dogs, cats, horses.

Aloe vera is a common houseplant that has a variety of health benefits. Pets can be poisoned by aloe vera.

Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, loss of appetite, changes in urine color, and tremor.

Philodendron Bipennifolium (Planta Panda/ Fiddle Leaf)

Toxicity: dogs, cats

Fiddle Leaf Philodendron, often known as Panda Plant. Panda plants are a popular succulent because they are low-maintenance.

It is well-known for its velvety, hairy leaves that resemble cat ears. The leaves are oval in shape, grayish green in color, and have brown tips.

The planta plant’s leaves contain insoluble calcium oxalates (a type of crystal).

Calcium oxalates have the potential to irritate tissues. Poisoning symptoms include mouth soreness, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.

Sansevieria Trifasciata (Snake Plant)

Toxicity: dogs, cats

Snake Plant is a low-maintenance houseplant that grows well in a variety of conditions. Saponins, on the other hand, are found in the snake plant.

When the snake plant is consumed, it produces moderate toxicity, resulting in nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Kalanchoe Spp. (Kalanchoe)

Toxicity: dogs, cats

During the winter, the Kalanchoe succulent plant can blossom. They are drought-resistant and easy to care for.

The cardiac glycosides present in kalanchoe plants, on the other hand, might cause lethargy, increased salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach discomfort.

Kalanchoe can cause irregular heartbeats, a high heart rate, shortness of breath, acute weakness, and death if ingested in large quantities.

Euphorbia Family

Toxicity: dogs, cats, and horses

The most well-known toxic succulent family is the Euphorbia family. This succulent plant’s leaves can generate a white sap that can irritate the skin.

Your pet may develop a rash if he or she comes into contact with the sap. This succulent can cause vomiting by irritating the tongue and stomach.

You Might Also Enjoy: Are Succulents Bad Luck?

My Pet Ate A Succulent, What Should I do?

If your pet eats a succulent, you must identify the plant right away. In case the plant is hazardous, contact your local veterinarian.

However, if you are unable to contact your local veterinarian, you can contact the poison control center.

What If My Child Ate A Piece of Succulents

In most cases, succulents are low-risk plants to have in the home. It is important to know if the succulent that your child ate or got sap on their skin is either a Euphorbia plant or a Kalanchoe plant. If they got sap on their skin, wash the area with soap and water right away, and watch for any sign of a rash. If they ate a piece of the plant, wipe out their mouth with a soft towel and give them a glass of water.

Share the Post:

Related Posts